We have put together a list of our must-haves for your grooming box, so you are never stuck without or having to borrow any piece of equipment at a competition again!
- First and foremost, if you have the space and don't mind a bulkier grooming box- check out the 'fat max' toolbox. They last forever, and have so many compartments for everything you may need!
-Needles (the big plastic ones from spotlight will change the way you plait forever)
- Bands (clear and coloured)
- Mane and tail plaiting spray
- Clips to hold the main back
- Scissors small and large
- Wool (this will also change the way you plait forever if you have a horse with thicker mane!)
- Body brush
- Curry comb
- Grooming mitt for shine
- Dandy brush
- Mane comb
- Hoof pick (have two, these manage to go walk-about often!)
- Water brush.
- Sponges (at least 3, one for the face, one for the hind and one for the body, they can be cut small)
- x2 sweat scrapers
- Small microfibre towels to save room
- Shampoo and conditioner.
Hoof Oil and Brush
Be sure to double-check the rules, as some FEI disciplines don't allow black hoof oil during trot ups!
This is one of the most under-rated, yet most-used item you can have in your tack box. It will always manage to be used by someone, so take up a little extra space and make sure you have it!
Spare bridle numbers
You probably won't have all of your numbers in your grooming box, but spares go a long way!
Spare Drop Noseband
We can't be the only people who misplace these all of the time?
Notepad and pen
For any time changes or notes to your grooms.
Equine Make Up
Make sure you have a supply of your favourite equine makeup if needed, clear makeup goes a long way, as does white cover cream for the grey horse owners!
You never know when they will come out!
It's always good to have one in your grooming box, as well as in your first aid kit.
Great to have on hand for the corner of your horse's mouth.
Small Tail Bandage
Useful to wrap the top of the tail after braiding, or if clipped to help it sit down.
What else would you add? Leave a comment below and let us know!